Thursday, January 24, 2013

comment on the students


There is a bit of a paradox I’ve noticed with the relationship between teachers and students. On the one hand, there is a clear social standing between a teacher and a student- the teacher is always superior and deserves the highest respect. Students have told me that they would never talk back to a teacher and questioning the teacher aloud is very rare. However, the thai students are always either talking in class, or on their phones. There is very little participation and I have yet to see any thai student really engage themselves with the class, professor or material (except in small discussions, sort of). My neo-marxist American professor is very eccentric and has a lot of criticism for the US and is just all around odd (but very interesting, I really enjoy his class), so I thought it was weird when he asked me to stay after class one day. He told me that he was going to be absent February 21st and that he couldn’t find any colleagues to sub for him but he really wanted to show a movie. He said that he trusted me and thought I was responsible and was wondering if I would put in the movie and take roll. He acted like he was asking this huge favor from me and was so grateful when I said yes. He asked me how someone so good could come from a state with Jan Brewer as their government haha. I was just very surprised by how he thought he was really putting me out. I think it reflects the relationship the students and teachers have- the students don’t give anything to the classroom, and the teachers don’t trust them. Some of the kids in our class have been in 1+ classes with him before, but there was no relationship built, like there would be in a US college classroom after several semesters (especially when the classes are 15 people). I also wonder why the students act like they do in the classroom. I would imagine to be able to speak English at a college level as your second language, and to get in to Mahidol, would require the kids to be very focused in lower school and high school, so I wonder why that behavior doesn’t transfer and why the students seem to lack critical thinking skills. Malhar suggested that their previous education may have just required memorization and a very structured setting, so by removing the structure and the need to memorize and instead critically think, the students don’t know how to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment