Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chinatown

About 16 of us decided to go into China Town (located in bkk) late yesterday afternoon. We split up to take cabs, so I spent the evening with Beth and 3 of the UNC students, Madiha, Malhar, and Grace. We didn’t know each other at UNC but I find myself getting along very well with the UNC kids and planning my weekend travels with them. China Town was how I pictured it- crowded and dirty and full of delicious or exotic foods. There were food stands with a fully intact pig’s head for sale, and shark fin was advertised everywhere. We mostly went there for the food (there’s not much else to do or see) and found a sit down restaurant. The table had a big circular platter like thing that turned and we ordered several dishes and spun them around so everyone could eat them. We also had some sort of traditional house tea, which was excellent (but caffeinated enough to keep me up pretty late). On the menu was things like soft shell turtle, sea cucumber, shark fin, pigs ear and goat jelly, but we stuck with chicken, pork, and shrimp. The meal was probably the best I’ve had since I’ve been here and I’m sure I’ll make it back there again.



No comments:

Post a Comment